Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Posted by xCHIPxSEM | File under : , , , ,

As I was leaving school today, I decided to put on Glasseater, a band I hadn't heard in quite some time. My old band, Destro, shared members with them and were extremely good friends for quite some time until we had a falling out (one which will not be explained so please don't even ask). When they started out, they had a sound somewhat in the vein of New Day Rising with the whole singing/screaming melodic with breakdowns sound. They really blew up in South Florida in 1999 and to be honest, their shows were great. Jason is still one of my favorite frontmen ever in a hardcore band and that still holds up to this day. They released their first record on Matt Fox's "Ides of March Records", followed by a signing to Eulogy Recordings. One record released through Eulogy, they signed to Fearless who re-released their Eulogy debut. After that, they signed to Victory and then the band ran its course. I have many fond memories of seeing them play Club Q in Davie, FL. to hundreds of kids going nuts singing along and spin kicking as well as a memory of myself accidentally spin kicking Dennis Pace of Forever And A Day square in the face (oh the days when I used to "mosh"). After Jason was kicked out/asked to leave, the band just wasnt the same for me. Julio, the drummer turned singer, did a great job as he had/has a great singing as well as screaming voice but Jason had the stage presence. Anyway, heres what I have uploaded for you today...first is the EP turned full length "Miles Ahead of Where We Left Off" originally released on Ides of March Records then re-released on Dead Droid Records out of Detroit with 2 additional tracks, at the time a new song "Weekend Sellout" and an acoustic version of "Words To Make Up" that was originally released on "7 Years Bad Luck". Make sure to check out the song "24 For Life" which is at the end of the song "Breakaway". It was a grindcore song that they wrote under the name "GlassSuck" (a play on Glasseater and Assuck). This record has been out of print for at least 6 years and it really is a shame. Next we have the original demo which featured the songs "Rosewater", Smartboy" and "Princess". The original version of Rosewater has a sample from the movie "Sleepers" which was omitted from the re-recording for the "Miles..." records. Lastly, we have a demo track for the song "Face to the Floor" which was recorded at Miami Dade Community College in 1999 for the bass player Anthony's sound recording class. It was written for a comp that Lovitt Records was releasing dedicated to Ric Flair. They didnt make the cut to be on the record but I prefer this version to the re-recorded one on "Miles...". Jason was still learning how to sing but he knew how to scream his head off and it shows. The song is also played faster. I hope you enjoy this as much I did...nice to go back and revisit the past. Also if anyone has any old Glasseater shirts they'd be interested in selling (especially the Glasseater Kids design), please get in touch.

Glasseater - Miles Ahead of Where We Left Off (reissue)

Glasseater - Demo

Glasseater - Demo 2

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Any chance of some Destro releases? I have the full length

xCHIPxSEM said...

Mark click the Destro link in the post. I uploaded everything there

XPoopX said...

I am sure that I have a Glasseater shirt in one of my boxes of old shirts. It's probably next to one of my 10 pantera shirts.

xCHIPxSEM said...

Steven get at me and let me know man

Alternate 1995 said...

this made my day. Totally forgot about these guys. Miles is such a great album. thanks

Anonymous said...

never liked them. i did, however, like destro.

and i totally forgot that i apparently met you, chip. haha.

xCHIPxSEM said...

Really? Where did we meet Rob?

Gabe said...

what are these guys doing now?

xCHIPxSEM said...

Gabe: Ariel lives in Austin TX and is playing in a new band. Julio just moved back to Miami as well as JC. Jason and Anthony still live in Miami. Not sure if any other musical project are in the works though

jav said...

i remember seeing these dudes at a fest and thinking "whoa, there are other brown people in hardcore?"

ugetthelifeuchoose said...

This band introduced me to hardcore when I was in like 10th grade because they were such a great bridge from millencolin into ptw and a jealousy issue